Over the last few years, solar energy technology has advanced leaps and bounds. Never has it been so environmentally friendly yet cost-efficient to turn to solar energy sources. Below are just a sample of the benefits of solar farms:
- Solar farms use a reliable, clean energy source. The simple fact of the matter is that the sun is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. However, the same cannot be said for energy sources such as fossil fuels and coal.
- Solar farms do not cause pollution. While there are some emissions associated with the construction of a solar farm, they equate to nearly nothing in comparison to most conventional energy sources.
- Solar farms are possible all over the world. The sun shines everywhere in the world for at least a few hours (even in Iceland which has the shortest daylight at ~5 hours on the winter solstice). While you might think that countries along the equator might harness the most solar power, Germany currently produces the most solar energy.
- Solar farms can still be used to farm crops and graze livestock. Studies in 2018 and 2019 have shown that it is beneficial to co-locate croplands and solar farms in a practice known as “agrovoltaics.” If down the road, a landowner wants to revert their land to solely agricultural use, this can be accomplished easily. Land that was not used for crops while functioning as a solar farm may even “maintain soil quality and contribute to the biodiversity of the land.”
- Solar farms provide energy for everyone. Perhaps you have thought about installing solar panels on your home. This is a fantastic idea, however, approximately 20% of homes in the U.S. are not eligible for panel installation. This could be due to lack of space or even roof angle. Alternatively, solar farms can provide clean energy for an entire community or even an entire city!
If you would like more information about Innovative Solar Systems and our utility-scale solar farms, please call 828-424-7884 or visit https://innovativesolarsystemsllc.com/.